PSLE ENGLISH WRITING
Pre-Writing (8-10 minutes)
- Understand the requirement of the prompt that you are given.
- Know who your audience is.
- Plan and organise your ideas by using:
- Word / Idea Webs to generate the kind of vocabulary you will be using.
- Other visual organisers (tables, time-lines, flow charts) to classify, order and further develop your ideas.
- Group your ideas into ‘chunks’ so that you can develop them as paragraphs.
- Decide which group of ideas will be used for maximum effect.
Writing (35 minutes)
- When writing out your composition, try to link your ideas as smoothly as possible with linking words and phrases as well as develop your events.
- Don’t worry too much about spelling and punctuation. You can check on these later. The main thing is to get your ideas fleshed out on paper first.
Revising & Editing (10 minutes)
When you reread your composition:
- Does it make sense?
- Is your handwriting neat and legible?
- Are proper nouns capitalised and does each sentence begin with a capital letter?
- Does each sentence end with the correct punctuation mark and has punctuation been used correctly throughout your composition?
- Are your ideas grouped into paragraphs? Did you indent before each paragraph?
- Is your spelling correct?
- Do your subjects and verbs agree?
- Are your tenses consistent?